Top five iced teas for summer
Kim Havelaar, founder of Roqberry and a tea sommelier, selects five different teas that can be served over ice for the summer period.
“Most people find it more refreshing to drink tea without milk when it’s hot. For this reason green teas and herbal infusions work particularly well. Also, green tea is brewed at a lower temperature (80 degrees) and will cool down quicker,” advises Havelaar.
“Summer is the perfect time to try some new tea flavours, and chilled teas are a great alternative to alcohol and sugary fizzy drinks."
Havelaar advises that herbal infusions and black tea are best brewed at 100 degrees, while green teas should be brewed at 80 degrees to avoid drawing out any bitterness.
“In all cases let the bag steep for three minutes, then allow the brew to cool before chilling in the fridge,” she advises.
For coldbrew, the process of brewing the tea in cold water, most tea needs to brew for 14-16 hours overnight, depending on the tea and the exact temperature of the water.
Here are Kim’s top five recommendations for operators include herbal infusions, green teas and black teas:
1) Lemon Verbena: A herbal infusion of lemon verbena, lemongrass, apple and rosehip. Really refreshing on its own or served over ice with a slice of apple and a sprig of mint
2) Bloom Box: fancy something floral? Chamomile, Rose, Hibiscus and Pomegranate mingle beautifully for a glass full of summery notes. Serve chilled with fresh strawberries.
3) Paradise Punch: a tropical inspired green tea mix with lemongrass, coconut, papaya and pineapple. Serve over ice with a slice of lemon or a stick of lemongrass.
4) Melon Berry: A light green tea with sweet melon and raspberry flavours. Serve over ice and with a wedge of melon.
5) Citrus Grey: Although most black teas work best hot, this tea with its refreshing notes of bergamot, lemongrass and lemon peel tastes great over ice. Serve with a slice of grapefruit.
- We’re always looking for news stories.
Got a story? Get in touch email@example.com
- For more information on stands and sponsorship at European Coffee, Tea & Soft Drink Expo 2020, which will take place at London’s Olympia on 19 and 20 May, contact Sukhvir Hayre on +44 (0) 203 668 9809 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For details of advertising opportunities. Get in touch with Sukhvir@europeancoffeeexpo.com