What are the trends in milk?
Latte remains the most popular choice of drink for consumers drinking in the out of home sector.
Beverage Business World takes a look at milk trends and what the latest statistics reveal.
- Almost a quarter (23%) of Brits used plant-based milk alternatives in the three months to February 2019, up from just 19% in 2018. (Mintel)
- 26% of women enjoy plant-based milk alternatives and as many as a third (33%) of 16-24s opt for these varieties. (Mintel)
- Plant-based milk alternatives continue to grow in popularity but accounted for just 4% of volume sales and 8% of value sales of white milk in 2018. (Mintel)
- A fall in usage among 16-24s comes of standard cow’s milk is for health reasons (37%) and environmental (36%). (Mintel)
- It is estimated that 21M plant-based coffee drinks are now being served each week. (Alpro)
- Almost half (48%) of coffee drinkers were now regularly choosing plant-based milk for their coffee while on the go – with taste, health and environment among the biggest motivations for doing so. (Alpro For Professionals survey of 2,000 adults)
- Only one in five of all coffee drinkers reported that they have not tried a plant-based alternative out of home. (Alpro For Professionals survey of 2,000 adults)
- Three out of 10 coffee drinkers (28%) said that they now choose a plant-based coffee shop option at least once a week, whilst one in 14 said they opt for plant-based coffees on the go every day. (Alpro For Professionals survey of 2,000 adults)
- Just over a quarter of coffee drinkers (27.7%) said they wanted to see more plant-based drinks options on menus, with Soya, Almond, Coconut and Oat options making up their favourite serves. (Alpro)
- When purchasing coffee, 89% of lactose intolerant consumers say milk is important to the taste, texture, and appearance of the drink. (Arla)
- A third of consumers said that they would opt for plant-based options out of necessity rather than choice, with 58% resorting to black coffee, and 15% avoiding tea and coffee completely when dining out. (Arla)
- We’re always looking for news stories.
Got a story? Get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information on stands and sponsorship at European Coffee, Tea & Soft Drink Expo 2020, which will take place at London’s Olympia on 19 and 20 May, contact Sukhvir Hayre on +44 (0) 203 668 9809 or email email@example.com
- For details of advertising opportunities. Get in touch with Sukhvir@europeancoffeeexpo.com