Costa and Caffè Nero rated top by consumers
CGA and River & Stone released the 2019 Brand Momentum Report, with a range of sectors analysed.
In the category ‘coffee and food to go’ it was topped by Greggs, which was seen as the brand with most momentum after a year of expansion and effective marketing.
The report said that while Costa and Caffè Nero ranked as the top two coffee brands, they were being kept on their toes by independent operators.
Greggs, which was placed into the category due to its focus on coffee sales, was praised for its innovation.
“Those operators that have not kept pace with Greggs’ innovation have fallen behind in the Brand Momentum Report’s metrics,” the report said.
“Pret, meanwhile, has been hit hard by negative press over the past 12 months—though other factors have also contributed to falling opinion ratings.”
This survey follows the Brand Finance Restaurants 25 2019 report from earlier this year that revealed that UK coffee shop chain Costa Coffee was ranked as the second strongest brand in the restaurant sector.
It said Costa had the second highest brand strength rating (87.8 out of 100) behind McDonald’s with a brand strength of 90.3 out of 100. Costa beat Starbucks, which was given a rating of 86.2 out of 100.
Brand Finance determined the strength of brands through a scorecard of metrics evaluating marketing investment, stakeholder equity, and business performance.
- Tim Cox, drinks innovation manager, at Costa Express is a member of the European Coffee, Tea & Soft Drinks Expo's Steering Panel.
- Paul Darlinson, head of operations at Nero Express, Caffe Nero, is a member of the European Coffee, Tea & Soft Drinks Expo's Steering Panel.
- Maxime Herbaut, coffee and beverages manager at Eat, is a member of the European Coffee, Tea & Soft Drinks Expo's Steering Panel.
- For more information on European Coffee, Tea & Soft Drinks Expo, contact Sukhvir Hayre on +44 (0) 203 668 9809 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and check out stand and sponsorship options.
- Visitor registration is now open for the European Coffee, Tea & Soft Drinks Expo. For FREE fast-track entry click here.